Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Excellent 11- Chapter 5- Balance

I really enjoyed this chapter on balance. As long as I can remember, I've always wanted people, kids included, to like me. My feelings were always hurt if they didn't. I'm glad Ron addressed the balance between the teacher/student relationship. If the students like you and think of you as a friend, chances are they won't respect you. However, if they fear you and worry about what you're going to say or do next, they won't respect you either. I've always been afraid of disciplining my future students. I don't want them to fear me, but I don't want them to feel like I'm a doormat they can just walk all over. I want them to see me as a friend, a confidant, someone that cares for them and wants them to succeed. But I don't want them to take advantage of that relationship. I want them to see me as their teacher, someone who demands respect from them but will also respect them in return. Children need respect just as much as adults do. I hope, through experience and a better understanding of my future students, I will be able to find that happy balance in the teacher/student relationship. I also really liked how Ron addressed the balance in a teacher's own life. It's very important to take care of yourself and deal with things going on in your life in order to take care of your students and the needs they have in the classroom. If you go into the day stressed with your mind boggled by other distractions, you're not going to have a very productive teaching day. But if you take some time to step back and evaluate what's going on in your life and deal with it accordingly, you can find that balance and be a successful teacher and person in all aspects.

No comments:

Post a Comment