Monday, January 24, 2011

Literature Blog #1

When I was younger, I really enjoyed reading. I always did well in the school's Accelerated Reading program, and I always thought reading was fun. I not only liked reading to myself but I also enjoyed reading out loud to others. I was even picked to be in the county's education fair for reading out loud 3 or 4 years in a row and won! But somewhere along the way, I lost my enthusiasm for reading. For a long time now, I've only read when I was supposed to. And even then, I would sometimes look for shortcuts to read as little as possible. But I know all of that is going to have to change soon. I hope this reading block will change my outlook on reading and its importance in teaching and learning. I don't want to teach my students to look for shortcuts in reading. I want to be an example for them. I want them to learn that reading can open so many doors for them. Technology is great in its own place, but nothing will ever take the place of reading a good book.

4 comments:

  1. Jamie,

    I have always enjoyed reading to myself as well as to others. I agree that books can open so many doors for children. I love how books can instantly transport the reader to a different place, whether it be real or fictional. That is the main reason why I love to read and perhaps the contributing factor that keeps me reading today. I have to agree, technology is great, but nothing will ever take the place of cracking open a good book. I hope that you are able to find your love for reading again as you go through this semester's field experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jamie,
    I knew you were a bookworm. It shows. You have excellent writing and reading skills. I like your outlook on this reading and writing block. You will excel in teaching these subjects. I feel as if I need some improvement in reading and writing. I hope to gain confidence from this semester. I do not think I will fail as a teacher teaching these subjects. However, I think teaching reading and writing will be more challenging for me, because they are my weaker subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jaime, I love reading. I just don't know how to transfer that love to my students. Like you, I really want to. I hope this block helps me learn techniques and "tricks" that will help make reading fun for my students, so that they will never see it as a chore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie,

    Thats awesome that you got selected and won for reading out loud as a kid! I love hearing about kids doing great in reading. Like we talked about in class, I think we take it for granted when kids learn to read. Its like we expect them to already know how as soon as they start to talk. I really hope this block helps to gain your enthusiasm for reading back. I know how it is to only read when you are told to.

    ReplyDelete