Monday, February 7, 2011

Literature Block Post #2

I have really been enjoying the literature block so far. Even though it has required a lot more reading than last semester, it's all been very informative and interesting. My favorite part of the semester so far has definitely been the read alouds. I can't wait until I get to start using those in my practicum! They're not just for students. I know as a teacher, I'll enjoy them even more. Our interdisciplinary lesson plans are due this week, and I'm really nervous about having to create that. Even though I enjoy reading, it makes me nervous to think about being responsible for coming up with new and creative ideas to incorporate into things like read alouds. I guess there's no better time to learn and experiment. I hope I can become more confident with teaching in general. The closer I get to student teaching, the more nervous I become about the whole thing. It's not just a particular content area that scares me. It's the fact that I'll be responsible for teaching students all they're supposed to learn in a whole school year. Hopefully, I'll become more confident with each content block.

3 comments:

  1. Like you Jamie, I cannot wait to do interactive read aloud with students, during the upcoming practicum. I do not mind doing a read aloud in the classroom, but it is awkward to interact with adults as if they are children. However, I must say everyone else seems to be comfortable with it, especially Rachel. She could read to me every day, without complaints. I beat children loved having her as their teacher.

    Like you, I am racking my brain and nerves over the interdisciplinary lesson plan. I know what I want to do, but I am struggling with the selection of children’s literature that allows me accommodate and cover all of the lesson's requirements. Once the assignment is completed, I am sure that all of us will do great and wish we had not sweated it so much. I think that this first interdisciplinary lesson plan will be the hardest for us to prepare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am enjoying the read alouds. They are a great teaching tool that can be used for any grade level. Dont worry you will be fine. You will have no trouble coming up with inventive and creative ideas for your read alouds.Its your love of reading that will help you through the lesson plan. SO DON'T WORRY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jaime, I was nervous about the lesson plan, also. We all saw the result of that. LOL An EPIC lesson plan. Rachel is probably STILL reading it. :) I would like to say this is the block I was most nervous about, but that might be the kindergarten block. Honestly, I wish I could just go back to middle school. I am please with myself though. This block as not be nearly as traumatizing as I thought it would be. Let's see what happens in practicum though.

    ReplyDelete