Monday, April 25, 2011

Reading Block Reflection #6

We made it! We're almost done! Wow! I can't believe how fast this semester has gone. Of course now, it's crunch time. We're going crazy trying to get everything ready for our portfolio and for our technology class. It feels like there aren't enough hours in the day for all of this stuff. But it's been an awesome semester. I absolutely loved my practicum experience, and I love first grade. It is definitely my ideal grade to teach. Those kids were so sweet and so smart. It amazed me to see how much they learned in the short period of time I was there and even through all of the wretched TCAP prep (but we'll not mention that anymore). I know if I had observed them throughout the whole year, I would REALLY be amazed! Mrs. Melissa said that was one reason why she loved first grade so much. It's a crucial year for students. You go from just learning to read small words to reading whole books and even small chapter books! That would definitely be such a rewarding grade to teach because you really get to see the fruits of your labor by the end of the year. Of course, I would be grateful for any job I was offered, but if I had my choice I would choose first grade! :)

3 comments:

  1. I too feel the pressure that comes at the end of the semester, but don't worry you will get it all done. I like the idea about not mentioning TCAPS anynmore. i am glad you enjoyed your practicum experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie,

    I am so glad that you had a wonderful semester! Like you, I LOVE the lower grades. It too enjoyed my second grade class. I agree that first grade is a crucial year for students. I think it would be so neat to observe a first grade class form day one until the end. I think you would definitely see a change in the way those students grow in their abilities to read. On a different note, I am definitely feeling the "crunch" that unfortunately shows up at the end of every semester. That's okay though, we are almost finished! I cannot wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie,
    I am glad you enjpyed first grade! We're getting closer and closer to being finished with school. In a way its a little sad, but then again, its great! We'll have our own classrooms! Lets hope next semester goes good!

    ReplyDelete