Monday, April 4, 2011

Reading Block Reflection #5

Wow! I am so excited about how my field study is going! I love those kids, and first grade is definitely my calling. Last semester when I had 5th grade, I was very timid and shy and had a hard time gaining authority over the class. The same is definitely NOT true for first grade. I feel right at home in that classroom, and Mrs. Melissa makes everything so exciting and easy. I really look forward to walking in the classroom every day.
I read my first read aloud yesterday, and the students seemed to really enjoy it. They understood making connections between the book and their own lives, which was wonderful. On a much different note, this semester has really opened my eyes to some of the different things outside of the classroom the teachers have to deal with. It's been a very interesting experience. And I've also been very surprised and concerned about some of the situations the students are in at home. I knew I would have to encounter some of these things in my field study and when I have my own classroom, but I never realized it would be like this.
Aside from that, this semester has definitely been such a wonderful experience so far. I love those kids already, and I know that will only increase as time goes on.

4 comments:

  1. I too was very suprised to learn about the situations students face at home. It makes me feel like that I should try to help them in some way. I am glad that you are enjoying your practicum. I could see you as a first grade teacher. Your future students will be really lucky to have you. Glad your read aloud went great, I knew that it would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie,

    I am glad that your practicum is going well. I too have gotten attached to my students. They always have something to tell me, and seem to know just how to make my day better when it is not going so well. I think it is very important that teachers make their lessons fun and engaging for students, and it seems like your mentor teacher is doing a great job with that. I am glad that your students enjoyed your first read aloud, and that they understood how to connect the story to their own lives. I did my first read aloud last week and focused my read aloud on make connections too. My students seemed to have no problem with making connections to their own lives either. I hope your practicum continues to go well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie,
    I am so glad you are enjoying your field experience. You would make a great 1st grade teacher! It is a lot easier to have more authoriy over younger kids. The older the kids, the more scarier it can be. They seem to "know it all" at an older age. I have also been concerned with some of the situations that the students seem to be going through outside of school. Some kids have broken my heart. They are all great kids, but its sad that they have to go through surough stuff at such a young age. Teachers definately take their work home with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie, you would make an excellent first grade teacher. Like you, I am heartbroken over some of the students’ home situations. Before this semester, I always keep students’ behavior and home issues in the back of my mind, knowing that teachers (as well as myself—one day) must face and deal with them. I was not prepared for those unusual situations, but I feel like they slapped me right in the face. Other that the despairing situations, I love first grade.

    ReplyDelete