Sunday, September 19, 2010

Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire- Chapter 3- Reading for Life

I really enjoyed reading this chapter. Reading is a very important part in the curriculum as well as in every day life. I mean, just think about it. How hard would our lives be if we couldn't read? Growing up, I loved reading. It was a way to take my mind somewhere else. I loved reading classics like "Mary Poppins" and "Alice in Wonderland", partly because I had the movies and would compare the books to the movies. That was one thing I really liked about this chapter. Rafe noted that one way you could get students more excited about what they're reading is to show a movie or play adapted from the book after the students finish reading the book. My elementary school teachers didn't do that much, but my high school teachers did that a lot. It always helped, especially with the more complex books. My favorite part of the whole chapter was when Rafe talked about Luis. The fact that a young boy could appreciate literature at such a level that it made him so emotional was really astounding. I hope I can somehow encourage my students to become that emotionally invested in literature. Reading is such a powerful tool that students will carry with them forever. They might as well learn to love it and enjoy it since it will benefit them for the rest of their lives. I really hope I can help them get on the right track with literature and help them develop a love for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment