Monday, March 14, 2011

Reading Block Reflection #4

Wow! Tomorrow's the big day-our first day of field study for this block. I can't believe it's already here! I must admit, I'm not as excited for this one as I was for last semester. I'm kind of indifferent at this point. Hopefully, that will change once I get there and get to know the students and my mentoring teacher. Since we've been talking about the dreaded "90 minute reading block", I've been really anxious to see what is going to happen in our field study. I'm certainly feeling better about our placements this time around. Going into the school already knowing who I'm placed with is a definite relief. Already knowing what to expect (to a degree) is also calming. Reading lessons and read alouds really have the potential to be fun and exciting for the students. I really hope I can engage my students in our read aloud lessons and get them excited about reading. Maybe I will gain excitement about this semester's field study after tomorrow. Here's hoping!

4 comments:

  1. Jamie,

    I feel so much better knowing who I am going to be placed with in advance to. I definitely felt much more calm going into the classroom this morning as opposed to last semester when I did not even know who I was going to be placed with. I also hope I can make my read aloud lessons fun and engaging for my students. My students told me they LOVE to hear stories; so maybe I'm off to a good start with the kids liking stories and all. I am sure you will have students who cannot wait to hear stories too. What kid doesn't like a good story? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you survived the first day, and hopefully the excitement has kicked in for you. You have a great mentor teacher, and by Friday, you will have experienced the wonderful “90 minute reading block.” Your right, knowing our mentoring teachers in advance did make the first morning go much smoother. I hate that unprepared or unaware feeling, when facing something new, like this practicum. The students will enjoy your read alouds. I was happy to hear that they have daily read alouds, in first grade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not the only that feels indifferent, but you will be fine. I glad that you are excited about the read alouds. You do such a goog job on your read alouds in class. I know that your first graders will love it. You have a great story telling voice and deameanor. I too can't wait to observe the 90 minute reading block.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are having a great time, Jamie! And we have great teachers. I believe we are going to be okay! We are definitely getting to experience things outside of our comfort zone with all the testing going on. I am like you about being so excited about the read alouds! The first graders are going to love them and I think they are going to like our activities too!

    ReplyDelete