Monday, November 1, 2010

The Excellent 11- Chapter 7- Confidence

Confidence is such an important issue for kids growing up. Students will perform better in class and in life if they are confident. Recognizing students' achievements can boost their confidence greatly. I learned a lot from this chapter. I struggle with a lack of confidence when I am in front of a group of people, including students. I've been pretty worried about doing lessons in front of the students in my placement class. After reading this chapter, I know I need to just practice my lesson over and over again until I become comfortable with it. I need to practice until it become second nature to me and I don't have to second guess what comes next. Hopefully when I get up in front of the class to do my lessons, I will have confidence and will be able to execute the lessons effectively. I love the part of the chapter where Ron talks about the mock interviews preparing the 5th graders for their middle school interviews. That was such an inventive idea and a wonderful way to help the students build confidence before their big interview. Confidence is such a key component in school and in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment