Monday, November 22, 2010

Teach Like Your Hair's On Fire- Chapter 15- It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (but I Like It)

I really enjoyed this chapter because I really enjoy music. Music is definitely one of the major loves of my life. Whether I'm playing the piano, singing, or just listening to music, I love being around music. Being able to incorporate it into my classroom is a really exciting thing to think about. I doubt I could do all that Rafe did and continues to do, but I will definitely incorporate music into my classroom. Music can reach children in a way that not many other things can. It's something they can identify with. It's something that always makes sense to them. By using music with lessons, lectures, and study aids, students will take a lot more from these things because of the music. I was very excited to use music in my lesson plan about the Underground Railroad. By using the song "Follow the Drinking Gourd", the students were able to take away a better understanding of the slaves' suffering as well as some of the hidden meanings behind the Underground Railroad. I really think it made them more excited about what could have been an otherwise boring lecture. Music changes things, even in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment