Monday, November 1, 2010

Teach Like Your Hair's On Fire- Chapter 11 and 12- Taxman and Think for Yourself

Chapter 11- Taxman
This chapter was so interesting. The economic system in Room 56 seems a little complicated, but I'm sure it really teaches the students the value of money and how to save it appropriately. I'm not sure I could implement something like that in my classroom, but it seems like a wonderful idea. It really teaches the students responsibility and money management as well as other life-long lessons they need. It's never too early to begin learning important life lessons like how to manage money and spend it wisely. It was really interesting to read about these kids growing up and owning their own homes when their parents didn't own their own homes. Some students grew up, bought their own home, and even saved up enough money to buy homes for their parents. It's amazing what skills these students learn at early ages can do for them when they grow up.

Chapter 12- Think for Yourself
I have a love/hate relationship with problem solving. If there's a problem to be solved and I can figure out how to do it, I love doing it. If I can't figure out how to go about solving the problem, I get frustrated and hate it. I really like "The Bible" Rafe talked about giving his students. It would've really helped me when I was learning how to problem solve. "The Bible" not only works for homework but for real life problems as well. His story about the break-in was a very great story. I hope I can instill those kinds of traits into my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment